Saturday, September 13, 2008

Africa is beating the crap out of me

I think it's just the lifestyle, but I'm amazed at how banged up I've managed to become. Right now I'm sporting a sprained ankle, skinned knee, skinned elbow, really gnarly cut on one hand, a small burn, scars on both legs, and this huge bruise on one heel. Granted, about half of that is the result of a spectacular fall down my mountain. I partially blame the barbed wire. If you have to crawl through barbed wire to get everywhere, you're gonna pay. I also maintain that the soil erosion here makes it easier to slip (ok, that's bullshit, but it's my story and I'm sticking to it).

Besides beating myself up one scrape at a time, I'm concerned about what sort of amusements I'm coming up with to pass the time. This morning I managed to sneak up on a chicken. I clucked at him and, wow, that was one scared chicken. I haven't laughed so hard in I don't know when. Yup, I'm losing it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

good to know you're having fun, and dont worry about your reaction to the chicken; you've always been a little nuts.

Katie said...

I saw a chicken in Corvallis last summer. I was amused by it as well. Remember the chickens and rabbits at Jim and Kay's old house? I loved that house, especially that brick sun room area. We always watched Whe Framed Roger Rabbit there. Like Pinocchio, that movie was fine before I really understood it and now they both terrify me.