Thursday, June 19, 2008

no, I'm not going to Switzerland

These are my final few days left in Oregon. On the 22 I will fly to Philadelphia for Staging, which is PC jargon for a 3-day orientation stateside. According to current volunteers I should be spending this time eating as much Thai and Mexican food as possible. Check.



Since I just graduated from college (3 days ago) I've been spending a lot of time answering the inevitable "what are you going to do now?" question. It's kind of nice to have a really cool answer. In fact, I've never gotten so much attention at parties as when I mention I'm going into the Peace Corps. Well, that pudding wrestling stunt got me a lot of notice too.



The first thing I've noticed is that not too many people know where Swaziland is off the top of their heads. Most people think I'm going to Switzerland (to guard the banks? chocolate?). Once I explain that it's in Africa, that ignites some new questions. So here goes,



Yes, I am excited. This might be the biggest adventure I have in my whole life, and I'm beyond thrilled to begin it. Yes, I am scared. I am going to a very foreign country without a single person I know, or have even met before. In fact, Swaziland is as far away from home as I can get without being in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Nearly half of all Swazis have HIV or AIDS and this amount of devastation terrifies me. I'm also quite worried that the other volunteers won't like me. And yes, it will be hard to leave for two years. The decision to just up and leave my family for that long feels callous, and I still haven't gotten used to it. I anticipate making a rather embarrassing scene at the airport on Sunday. Even though I know I can home early, I don't really think this is an option for me. I made a commitment to my country, Swaziland, and the United States Peace Corps. I believe in commitment, and if I am at all able, I will remain for the whole two years.

all right. . . back to the packing.

1 comment:

Katie said...

You are my favoritest ever! Swaziland doesn't know how lucky it is (and we weren't too bad at the airport).