Tuesday, June 24, 2008

the Northwest Army

Today is the end of staging, Peace Corps's 12 hour pre-departure orientation. I have spent the past two days bonding with my fellow PCVs. It's a little surreal to know that I will be close to all of these people, but we're not there yet. They're fun and friendly, and I think we'll be a great group. I had been concerned that I'd be the only west coast kid on the team. The best coast is extremely well represented. While Oregon is statistically about 1% of the U.S. population, 5 out of 36 volunteers in my group are Oregonians. Another 3 are from Washington state. Way to represent Pacific Northwest!

This is our last night in the U.S. Tomorrow we are taking a bus to New York and then an 18 hour flight to Johanesburg. We made sure to get our last taste of Thai food, since there isn't any in Swaziland. Good night America, I'm off to Africa!

1 comment:

hunsingm said...

Ah, so exciting! It's great to hear that Oregon represents (oh yeah!). On the Thai food, is it something that you'll be jonesing for? And, what kind of food did you have? I'm a sucker for descriptions of any and every type of food.

Have tons of fun!