Friday, August 8, 2008

Life in the village of Khiza

Some quick SiSwati:

Make (mah-gay): mother, ma'am, Mrs., woman

Babe (bah-bay): father, sir, Mr., man

bhuti (booty): brother, young sir, boy

sisi (see-see): sister, Ms., girl

So I've been staying in Khiza (which means rain in SiSwati) for a little over a month now. I live with the Shabangu family, which means that I am now a member of the Shabangu clan. My host-parents gave the Swazi name Vumile. They are a pretty traditional Swazi family. Babe is a firefighter in Nhlangano and Make keeps the home running. I have 2 bhutis, Mgceni is 13 and Mlondi is 4. I also have one sisi, Sindi, who's 8. Lately the 3 kids favorite form of entertainment is to sit in my hut and watch me make myself dinner. Needless to say, this is slightly awkward for me (I should mention that there is actually no word for "awkward" in the SiSwati language). We only began cooking for ourselves about 2 weeks ago. Until then, I was the best-fed volunteer the world over. Apparently it will reflect poorly on the Shabangus if I weigh less than 100 kilos. Other Swazis will assume they didn't feed me properly. I finally had to explain to my Make that American boys won't marry a chubby girl. She suggested I find a nice Swazi man instead.

Swazis are incredibly friendly people. The American taboo against touching people certainly doesn't exist here. Actually, I have been hugged by several strangers. I'm even starting to get used to it. I have even been proposed to 3 times now. So far, I'm worth 25 cows. I told the gentlemen that if he could get the cows to my father in Oregon, then we might have a deal. Apparently I'm not worth 25 cows plus shipping and handling.

Training is remarkably like junior high. I spend my day in something that looks remarkably like school, I have to be home before dark, and there are a lot of awkward moments. It's odd to go from being an adult to essentially being someone's child. Our Swazi families take their commitment to us very seriously, and consider us members of their family.

Here are some of the highlights:

4 of us were sitting at the local high school (which serves several villages north of Nhlangano) when one of the local Makes walked up, engulfed us in a bear hug, and cried out "Look! It's Khiza's girls!"
The same day I made rather an idiot of myself. I saw what appeared to be the only white student at Nsongweni High School, and pointed him out to my fellow volunteers. I began to wonder why at least 3 of them had smacked me upside the head. It turns out he was an albino. Way to go Beth.

When I received my permanent assignment my host family sat me down to explain something. My babe is concerned that my next family will try to overcharge me for water and electricity. He instructed my to call him and let him know what I was expected to pay, so he could tell me if it was fair or not. If it wasn't, he offered to drive to my new site and help me out with me water needs.

Swaziland's a hell of an adventure.

3 comments:

hunsingm said...

Wow, Vumile! (how is that pronounced?). How did you get proposed three times (three separate occasions by three separate people?) And how did you discover your cow-worth? And then, what is a cow worth, compared to other animals?

It's wonderful hearing about your adventures. Can't wait to read more.

Rachel Finlayson said...

Wow! This all sounds like such a grat adventure.

Katie said...

Really Beth? Really? You pointed out an albino? That's my girl! You would have loved the swimming at the Olympics. Phelps is obsession worthy. Swaziland wasn't so represented, but Kirsty Coventry and Zimbabwe did pretty well.