Saturday, August 9, 2008

A note to Matt Hunsinger-McConnell

Swazi food.

I'm sorry to say, I'm not such a fan. Most Swazi meals consist of 2 starches, usually rice and pap (pap is corn meal mixed w/ water), gravy, and a sort-of vegetable. I say sort of because Swazis have a serious aversion to raw vegetables. My bhuti was disgusted to watch me eat a bell-pepper without cooking it. And they don't just cook their vegetables, the boil them for upwards of an hour. I'm convinced there is no fiber left in any of the cabbage or spinach I've eaten. The only time I've seen them eat uncooked vegetables they were covered in mayonnaise.

The most important part of the Swazi diet is meat. As one of our training coordinators said "In Swaziland, a party is not a party unless there is meat." A meal without it, is just not worth eating.

I tried to introduce my family to spaghetti and American-style salad (you know, with salad dressing). It was an unqualified disaster. I had to bake cupcakes to make up for it.

There are a few food items where I see eye to eye with the Swazis. Emafat cakes are like Swazi donuts, only there's no glaze. They make a tasty breakfast. And Swazis are crazy about salt and sugar. They love candy and dump salt on their food. Megan can tell you I'm prone to both of these vices.

8 comments:

hunsingm said...

Man, so I'm feeling a little guilty for asking so many questions; but what's been posted is just so interesting--I have to know more!

On the meat: what kind of meat? Is there a preference for beef/pork/goat/chicken? What are some usual preparations? How about some unusual preparations? What kind of spices/flavorings are used?

That's too bad about the salad and spaghetti fiasco.

Finally, what is the Swazi breakfast?

Beth said...

emafat are swazi breakfast. . . or a fried egg sandwhich.

as for meat, I don't think the Swazis have met an animal they couldn't butcher. one of my buddies was just fed goat spine.

there are no spices or flavorings. just salt and occasionally curry powder.

i've been eating oatmeal for dinner lately, so i have to hide from my make. She would disapprove.

Brown Family said...

Hi Beth!!

First of all:

Hope all is well and...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!! (8-24)

Wishing you all the best God has so far giving you while away from your family and friends.

Second, all this talk about food makes one hungry, J/K. My... different countries do have interesting tastes, no? At least you haven't been offered any scorpions on a stick, yet! *wink, wink*

Hope to hear more from you and soon.

Take care and love from all of us Browns

Aunt Gladys
xoxox

Katie said...

Happy Birthday! I got a singing toaster that toasts the Glass Cinderella slipper on toast as it pops up. Genius! You make sounds like a formative woman. You can make cupcakes, since when? How has Gramps got a letter before me? I'm not judging, just remarking. The French said they would smash the US in the 4-100 freestyle, so of course we won and rubbed it in. I love Olympics, and you! Do something amazing for your birthday and I'll talk to you on the phone tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I was really excited to get your letter and am glad to hear that you are doing well. My mother really wanted one of the stamps off of it. I will be sending you a return letter soon. Much love!

Cindy said...

Perhaps the aversion to raw vegies is because they have to wash them so thoroughly? Do you want us to send spices? Love, Mom

Sarah said...

Hi Beth,

I was reading the Corvallis FUMC newsletter and saw your blog address. I am Margaret Ganders mom. Please give her a hug for me. It sounds like you are going to be an amazing PCV. Enjoy your adventure.

Sarah Gander

Orbit said...

Beth,
It is so exciting to hear about all of your adventures. I am glad that my early training in hugging has not gone to waste.
Good Luck
Tiffany
P.S.
Cara says hi