Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Holiday Blues

I'm afraid I can't sugar-coat this. Christmas in Swaziland is awful. It's not as big a holiday as in the United States so there's a definite lack of Christmas cheer. It's also summer here so it's around 100 degrees here nearly everyday (no A/C) which is pretty miserable. Most of the country is shut down for Christmas, New Year's, and the traditional holiday, Incwala, so there's no work for us to do. The hardest part though, is being away from home. The thought of my family opening presents and eating crab without me is heartbreaking. Honestly, I'm getting a little teary just writing this. Listening to Christmas carols on my ipod alone in my hut made things worse, so I've been coping by pretending it's not really December.
To celebrate (and alleviate our misery) a group of about 8 of us are heading to Mozambique for the holiday. We're going to lie on the beach, hang out on an island, eat some delicious seafood, and make it through this difficult time.
Wishing you all a Merry Christmas from Swaziland.

3 comments:

Brown Family said...

Hey Beth, ((hugs)) really you've got your health and a straw roof over your head, chin up my dear.

...and here I was feeling sorry for you, lying on the beach in 100 + weather...sheesh we are here freezing our buns off and with two feet of snow to boot, literally...sigh...

Merry Christmas! lots of love to you and don't forget to use sunscreen...

~Aunt Gladys for The Browns

Katie said...

We miss you so much! It wasn't awkward without you (because we consciously tried to not think about it), but it wasn't right at all. You are so needed. However, you're absolutely amazing and the coolest person I know, so never forget that! Keep it up! Soon we will both be abroad and I will be able to yell at you in a smoky internet cafe while being labeled as the "crazy American!"

Debbie said...

Sending lots of love and prayers your way, you'll look back on this in a few years and be proud of the great work you're doing. But get ready...you'll have to spend Groundhog Day away from home, too!! :)

The Streeters
Peoria, IL