Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What wouldn't I do for a klondike bar?

It seems to be a characteristic of PC-Swaziland that volunteers spend an inordinate amount of time thinking about food. We're constantly planning our next meals, or which rare treats we will enjoy during our next trip to town. One of the great things about Peace Corps is that your standards have never been lower. In the states, I would never have been excited about ice cream from Kentucky Fried Chicken (the lone American fast food chain). But in Swaziland? It's the highlight of my week. American treats like Thai food, nachos, parmesan cheese, apple cider, root beer, proper dognuts, and decent sea food don't exist here (to prove my point: I'm writing this in the volunteer lounge at the PC office and asked for suggestions of foods they miss. It was an avalanche). I like to plan what my first meal will be when I return to the United States.

Clam chowder, crusty bread, and a cold Henry Weinhard's root beer. Followed by a hot fudge and caramel sundae w/ brownie bits.

1 comment:

Debbie said...

What we take for granted here!! I wonder if your tastes will change after so long from "real" food! Take care, sweetie!