Sunday, November 16, 2008

Grocery shopping, Swazi-style

Innocently walking home from the high school last Wednesday with my host sister we were summoned to a homestead to greet the family. This happens fairly often. A white person cruising through rural Swaziland is extremely rare, so people want to know what on Earth I'm doing there. They ask basic questions, What's my name, Where do I live, Where am I from, What am I supposed to be doing, and How do I like Swaziland. They also frequently ask how I like the Swazi food. The women that summoned me last week were very curious about my food preference. Lindiwe, my host-sister, told them that I ate a lot of peaches and avocadoes. As we got up to leave, the women handed me 2 bags. One had 6 peaches, the other had 11 avocadoes (these are Swazi avocadoes, which are almost the size of my head, not dinky ones imported from Chile). Nearly 30 rand worth of produce, an extremely generous gift
I'll be eating guacamole for a month. Now all I need are some nachos. . . Alas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Do they have cheese in Swaziland?

Katie said...

My goodness! Advocadoes as gifts? The Swazis know how to appeal to you! The chips might be more of an issue than the cheese though.