Monday, November 3, 2008

the rainy season

It's spring in Swaziland! The weather is interesting, it alternates between sunny, hot, dry, with no clouds (I'm using my sunscreen, Mom) one day to overcast, humid, and still pretty warm the next. It's not exactly comfortable, but it could be so much worse. Think: Mauritania. The best part is the thunderstorms. My electricity has been out for the past 2 days because of these epic t-storms. My host family thinks it's a little odd that I like to chill on the porch and watch the lightning, they're used to it.
An interesting side note: Swaziland has more deaths by lightning strike per year than any other country. Fortunately, PC installed a lightning rod onto my little house.
These power outages are very common (once or twice a week) so my babe (that's father in siSwati, not a good looking specimen of humanity) went out and bought a generator to hook up to the main house. At least now we won't miss Generations.
Even with these it's still about 80 degrees outside, so I still walk around in jeans and a t-shirt. At least twice every cloudy day someone asks me "Why aren't you cold?" Real temperature is not important here, it's gray, therefore freezing. And to look at my Swazi friends and family on these days, you would think they were expecting a blizzard.

No comments: