Friday, November 21, 2008

Ode To My Vermin

living in Africa comes with its natural hazards. There are black mambas and puff adders. I even saw a lion the other day while the bus was passing a safari park. It was a little disconcerting because the fence was so low, even I could've jumped it. Despite these exciting animal adventures, it is the less charismatic animals that really affect the day to day life of a PCV. Bats, rats, and cockroaches (oh my) have become part of our daily routine, as well as the object of some unfortunate creative outlets.

Dawn breaks and homestead animals call,
cattle, pigs, chicken, geese and goats.
The very worst creature of all,
is the rat that poops in my Jungle Oats.*

Out of bed, I go with a light,
he sits on the floor and gloats.
My personal terror of the night,
the rat that poops in my Jungle Oats.

Breakfast time, I discover the turd,
on top of the box it floats.
So early, this seems absurd,
the rat that poops in my Jungle Oats.


*Jungle Oats are South Africa's answer to Quaker Oats.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Divine! You should do a Swazi "Twas the Night Before Christmas."