Friday, November 21, 2008

So, does she work?

Amid my charming anecdotes about avocadoes and my popularity as a marriage prospect, it might appear to some that I am not actually working. It is high time to offer an explanation. After Pre-Service training the first 3 months at site are spent "integrating," that is, getting to know your community and assess their development needs.
Group 6 is just finishing a week-long In-Service Training (IST), and once we get back to site we are ready to start our mission. Most of us have already begun small projects though (ssshhh. . .don't tell the Peace Corps).
So what do I do, exactly? I teach English and Life Skills at the high school as well as trying to start a computer club. Once I return to Phobane I'm hoping to work w/ the local HIV/AIDS support group, begin an income-generating project, and help impove food security for the 100+ AIDS orphans and vulnerable children (OVCs). Let the real work begin!

1 comment:

Katie said...

Wait, you're a computer nerd?